4 August 2017 - 16:44
Over 250,000 civilians returned to Mosul

(AhlulBayt News Agency) - Iraqi Minister of Displacement and Migration Jassim Mohammed al-Jaaf says more than 250,000 internally displaced persons have returned to their homes in Mosul after government forces, backed by allied fighters from the Popular Mobilization Units, retook the strategic northern city from Daesh terrorists last month.

Jaaf said that the number has reached 253,000, stressing that his ministry is working on the faster return of displaced families to their hometowns, English-language online newspaper Iraqi News reported.

On July 10, Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi formally declared victory over Daesh extremists in Mosul, which served as the terrorists’ main urban stronghold in the conflict-ridden Arab country.

Mosul’s liberation came on the heels of sweeping gains against Daesh made by Iraqi army soldiers and volunteer fighters from the Popular Mobilization Units, commonly known by the Arabic name Hashd al-Sha’abi.

The Iraqi forces took control of eastern Mosul in January after 100 days of fighting, and launched the battle in the west on February 19.

An estimated 862,000 people had initially been displaced from Mosul due to the liberation operation.

/106

Tags